From the chair:
Building a legacy is the foundation for why we work so hard in politics. Our mission is to leave our children and grandchildren a legacy of a better life.
Defeating climate change, economic opportunity, uplifting families, promoting healthier lives, building a more perfect democracy: these are all a part of the legacy each of us can leave for the people we love.
“Legacy” was the theme of our annual MDP dinner which we held over the weekend, a special night where we focused on the truly special legacy of Senator Debbie Stabenow as she steps down from public life after a half-century of service to the people of Michigan. She was joined onstage by her Senate colleague Mark Kelly (D-Arizona) who, among many other achievements, is a national leader in enacting gun safety laws.
We share highlights of the dinner on this week’s podcast, including some very inspirational and emotional moments with Senators Stabenow and Kelly.
Stories We’re Following This Week
- Michigan’s pitch to lure new residents: nature, high tech, abortion rights – Bridge Michigan
- Panel: Michigan needs to act with urgency as population slides – Bridge Michigan
- Michigan’s environmental rules could be stricter than national ones under bill – Bridge Michigan
- Leslie Love announces run for Senate, challenges Slotkin – Lansing State Journal
- Insider: Mich. lawmaker says Legislature ‘infected’ with corruption – Detroit News
- Commission accuses lawyers who tried to reverse 2020 election of misconduct – Detroit News
- Biden maintains edge over Trump in 2024 US election – Reuters/Ipsos poll
- Georgia prosecutor fights back against Trump attempt to remove her from election probe – AP News
- Marjorie Taylor Greene is introducing articles of impeachment against Joe Biden – Politico
The Culture and Voting Rights Wars
- Florida launches inquiry into teacher who showed Disney film – Tampa Bay Times
- Disney scraps plans for $1 billion Florida campus as fight with Gov. Ron DeSantis continues – AP News
- Abortion to be included in Michigan anti-discrimination law – Bridge Michigan
- Texas legislature votes to ban transgender care for children – The Washington Post
- A look at transgender restrictions moving forward in the US – AP News
- North Carolina Senate overrides governor’s veto of abortion ban – The Washington Post
- Missouri GOP fails to sabotage abortion amendment—for now
- DeSantis defunds diversity and inclusion programs at Florida colleges – The Washington Post
- Why Republicans Are Targeting Professors’ Job Security – FiveThirtyEight
- GOP state lawmakers try to restrict ballot initiatives, partly to thwart abortion protections – AP News
- Ahead of 2024 election, several states overhauled voting laws – The Washington Post