The WØRD – “Competence”
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 16:53 — 9.7MB)
From the Chair
Political campaigns too often revolve around what is flashy: tugging on emotions, sometimes even instilling fear if you vote “the wrong way.” It’s too easy to get distracted by high-profile wars with Disney, insults designed to tear down opponents, made-up scandals or conspiracies, dog-whistle appeals to our worst instincts, or sometimes outright lies.
What really matters in the long run: electing leaders who can get the job done. Competence isn’t exciting, but it matters. And we got another demonstration of the importance of competent leadership from President Biden (as well as Governor Whitmer and our state legislative leaders) this week:
The President calmly assured the nation for weeks that we would not default as a nation on our financial obligations. Despite a loud and seemingly unmovable cadre of right-wing Republicans in the U.S. House, the President brokered a compromise that both protected vital federal programs and made sure the nation paid its bills on time. The Governor and legislative leaders are, without fanfare, following through on making government work better: fixing the damn roads, protecting consumers from fraud, making Secretary of State branch offices far more efficient, and getting a balanced budget passed on time while cutting taxes for working families.
On this week’s podcast I’m joined by MDP’s Walt Sorg with an update on the how Democrats are demonstrating core competence in doing their jobs – meaning a better future for the people they serve.
News Stories About Politics and Policy
- President Biden Addresses the Nation on Debt Linit Deal – Washington Post
- (Video) President Biden’s Address to the Nation on Debt Limit Deal – C-SPAN.org
- (Transcript) Remarks by President Biden on Averting Default and the Bipartisan Budget Agreement – The White House
- Whitmer announces new plan to grow business in Michigan – Detroit Free Press
- Gov. Whitmer Establishes the ‘Growing Michigan Together Council’ to Focus on Population Growth, Building a Brighter Future for Michigan
- Gov. Whitmer & Legislative Leaders Unveil ‘Make it in Michigan’ Strategy to Win Projects, Invest in People, Revitalize Places
- Gov. Gretchen Whitmer taps GOP businessman to tackle Michigan population crisis – Bridge Michigan
- Michigan Democrats: We will deliver transparency reform. GOP dubious – Bridge Michigan
- Liz Cheney at Mackinac focused on keeping Trump out of White House – Detroit Free Press
- Dana Nessel: Lee Chatfield charging decision coming by year’s end – Bridge Michigan
- Michigan’s challenges keeping state’s top lawmakers awake – Detroit Free Press
- Byrum won’t run for U.S. House in Michigan swing district – Detroit News
- Insider: Duggan for governor? Detroit Democrat didn’t say no – Detroit News
- GOP state legislatures pass historic surge in bills targeting LGBTQ rights – The Washington Post