From the Chair
This was a good week for Michigan and the nation. For President Biden, an excellent week on two fronts:
First, a boisterous and enthusiastic endorsement from the United Auto Workers and its amazing president, Shawn Fain.
And, much to the consternation of Republicans, the economy continued to show that Bidenomics is working. The nation’s gross domestic product — the broadest measure of economic activity — grew at an annual pace of 3.3% in October, November, and December, according to a report Thursday from the Commerce Department.
It was a fitting end to a year of robust economic growth, defying projections that rising interest rates would tip the economy into recession. And it’s no surprise that Donald Trump immediately claimed that the numbers were fake, adding to his massive list of outrageous lies.
Michigan’s economic comeback got a boost from Governor Whitmer, who followed up 2023’s amazing legislative record with additional proposals to continue to restore Michigan’s economic dominance … an address focused on expanding educational opportunities, lowering the cost of living, responding to the crisis in affordable housing and continuing her efforts to Fix the Damn Roads.
This week’s Trump Outrage: Trump’s efforts to derail immigration reform.
There’s no question that we have a big problem on our southern border, in large part because the law and the enforcement budget are woefully inadequate. There have been productive bipartisan talks that are closing in on a compromise solution which would strengthen border security … but Donald Trump is actively working to sabotage the compromise. Why? If there is progress on border enforcement, he will lose immigration as his top issue. Donald Trump is worried more about his own campaign than in what’s best for the nation.
Outrageous … but totally consistent with Trump’s priorities. It’s all about what’s best for him, not what’s best for the nation.
In the News
The U.S. economy boomed in 2023, thanks to consumers opening up wallets – The Washington Post
The latest GDP data shows an economy that continues to soar – NPR
GDP report: U.S. economy defies recession amid inflation cooldown – Axios
US economic growth ends 2023 with surprising strength – The Guardian
- Whitmer promises ‘real change for people’ in State of the State speech – Detroit News
- Whitmer State of the State 2024: More money for housing, college, childcare – Bridge Michigan
- Takeaways from Whitmer’s 2024 State of the State – mlive.com
- Michigan Dems renew push to kill panels that give industry say in regulations – Bridge Michigan
- UAW President says Biden earned endorsement – WILX TV
- Biden, UAW, and the Teamsters – The American Prospect
- Flint Mayor Sheldon Neeley files to run for Kildee’s seat in Congress – mlive.com
- Michigan leaders demand investigation of ‘disturbing’ behavior from top Republican – The ‘Gander
- RNC: Kristina Karamo ‘properly removed’ as Michigan GOP chair; review ongoing – Bridge Michigan
- Finley: Michigan Senate race lower priority for GOP – Detroit News
- Michigan Republican Peter Meijer has not filed financial disclosure – American Journal News
- Gov. Gretchen Whitmer: Report of 7-figure book deal ‘not accurate’ – Detroit News
- 2024 Super State Strategy – Swing Left
Trump’s War on Americans
- Trump ordered to pay E. Jean Carroll $83 million in defamation verdict – The Washington Post
- Trump claims low unemployment numbers under Biden aren’t ‘real’ – The Washington Post
- New Hampshire and Iowa Reveal Broader Weaknesses for Trump – The New York Times
- DeSantis warns GOP about Trump’s win in Iowa caucuses after endorsing him – The Washington Post
- Trump Incoherently Babbles His Way Through Last Night’s Speech – Crooks and Liars
- Trump Threatens Haley During Victory Speech In New Hampshire | Crooks and Liars
- The victorious, censorious, malicious Donald Trump – Frank Bruni/New York Times
- McConnell Casts Doubt on Border Deal, Saying Trump Opposition May Sink It – The New York Times
- Party Opposed to Immigration Changes Opposes Immigration Changes – The American Prospect
- Trump leans into voter fraud playbook, preparing to cry foul if he loses – AP News
- A new lens into Trump’s legacy of adding to the federal debt – The Washington Post
- Trump Shares His New Hampshire Victory With an Accused Sexual Predator – Mother Jones
- As 2024 race advances, Trump eyes a new priority: blacklisting – MSNBC
National Politics and Policy
- Voters Support an Expanded Child Tax Credit, Oppose Corporate Tax Decreases -Data for Progress
- More Than 2 in 3 Voters Support Having an Asylum System and Hiring More Immigration Judges and Asylum Officers – Data for Progress
- Texas border: Greg Abbott joined by GOP governors, invoking confederacy – Slate.com
- Homicides fell in many big U.S. cities in 2023, report says – The Washington Post
- The United States is drowning OPEC in oil – QZ.com
- Ohio Senate overrides Mike DeWine veto of House Bill 68 – Cincinnati Enquirer
- Florida UNF students protest imminent closing of LGBTQ center – NBC News
- Jeff DeWit, Arizona GOP chair, resigns after Kari Lake ‘offer’ – Arizona Republic
- Transcript becomes the latest headache for GOP’s James Comer – MSNBC
- Democrats Are Having a Blast Making a Circus of the GOP’s Hunter Biden Probe – The Daily Beast
- 64K women and girls became pregnant due to rape in states with abortion bans, study estimates – NBC News
- Oklahoma enlists notorious right-wing zealot to guide school library policy – Popular Information