From the Chair
Truth is an endangered species as the 2024 presidential campaign unfolds thanks, in large part, to Donald Trump. His campaign to return to the White House is based on lies, beginning with The Big Lie: that the 2020 election was stolen. Despite more than 60 court rulings and a total lack of evidence, a majority of Republicans believe the Big Lie. An NBC News entrance poll found a resounding 90% of Trump voters in Iowa didn’t believe Biden legitimately won in 2020.
The lying extends to just about everything else Trump says. He lied about Nikki Haley’s record as South Carolina Governor, and Ron DeSantis’ record in Florida. There’s no doubt he will continue to make up total untruths about Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.
He’s already started, claiming the economy was soaring during his Presidency and is now in shambles when, in fact, just the opposite is true.
Trump inherited the Obama economy and took it down the drain. He was the first President since Herbert Hoover to leave office with fewer jobs than when he was inaugurated. He left office with thousands dying weekly from the Covid pandemic, in part due to massive inaction by his administration to protect the American people from the once-in-a-century health emergency. And he added a staggering $9-TRILLION to the national debt, the largest percentage increase in U.S. history.
He calls President Biden a crook when it’s Trump who’s facing 91 felony charges, and it’s Trump whose administration has seen dozens of his closest advisers convicted or facing trial on criminal charges, and hundreds of his supporters jailed for the January 6, 2021 assault on the U.S. Capitol.
Calling Trump a liar may seem extreme to some, but it’s a fact that two separate courts in New York have found him guilty of being a liar — and it’s going to cost him hundreds of millions.
In one courtroom, he’s been found guilty of lying on financial documents and faces fines of more than a quarter-of-a-billion dollars. In another courtroom, he’s been found guilty of lying when he denied raping E. Jean Carroll. He’s already been ordered to pay her $5-million for those lies, and faces another more-expensive judgment because he refuses to stop lying about her.
Make no mistake: his lies have power, especially when they are amplified by his media allies at Fox, The Daily Caller, Breitbart and right-wing talk radio. As Winston Churchill famously noted: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. It was true when he said it, and even more true in the age of the internet and social media.
Trump learned an important lesson from the first leader of Communist Russia – Vladimir Lenin – who said A lie told often enough becomes the truth. He repeats his core lies about 2020, about the economy, about his opponents and even about his own mental capabilities time after time after time … and his MAGA true believers accept the lies as truth.
Our challenge will be to counteract the lies with the truth about Joe Biden and the successes of his presidency. It will take discipline and persistence.
Monday marks the 51st anniversary of Roe v Wade – the Supreme Court ruling that, for nearly a half-century, recognized the right of women to control their own healthcare. In response to the Dobbs decision voters in Michigan, Kansas, Ohio and Kentucky have already let their voices be heard in support of the rights taken away by the Trump Supreme Court.
On Friday, Governor Whitmer and Minnesota Governor Tim Walz hosted a national media teleconference on Roe, the Dobbs decision overturning Roe, and the implications for 2024. This week’s podcast shares their comments.
In the News
Top Stories of the Week
- Americans are actually pretty happy with their finances – Axios
- Consumer Optimism Soars – University of Michigan
- After 18 years, Dems aim to restore Michigan pollution regulators’ power – Bridge Michigan
- Jocelyn Benson: Redrawing Detroit districts by spring ‘threatens’ 2024 Michigan elections – Bridge Michigan
- Will Michigan gun storage laws prevent accidental shootings among kids? – Detroit News
- State board OKs petition to repeal Michigan renewable energy siting law – Bridge Michigan
- Poll Shows Biden Leading Trump in Michigan by a 45-41 Margin – Deadline Detroit
- MI-Sen: Target Insyght (D) Republican primary for MIRS and the Northern Michigan Business Alliance (Jan. 2024)
- Bank: Michigan GOP defaulted on $500K loan, hasn’t made payment in months – Bridge Michigan
- Kristina Karamo demands Michigan GOP foes ‘cease and desist’ from defaming her – Bridge Michigan
- Karamo’s Michigan GOP faction votes to retain her, purge critics – mlive.com
- Breakaway faction sues to take control of Michigan GOP – mlive.com
- Former US Rep. Hoekstra elected MIGOP chair by anti-Karamo activists – Detroit Free Press
- Michigan GOP plans Detroit conventions to vote on presidential race- Detroit News
- Judge won’t enforce alleged $4M settlement for Ottawa County health officer – mlive.com
- Republicans in two key swing states are charting different paths – NBC News
- Justin Amash, ex-Rep. who voted to impeach Trump, explores Senate run – Detroit Free Press
- Trump: President Must Have Immunity – Truth Social
- Trump’s resounding Iowa win shows his 2020 election lie is working | US elections 2024 – The Guardian
- Poll: Majority of Iowa GOP caucus-goers don’t believe Biden legitimately won in 2020 – The Washington Post
- Iowa Exit Polls Prove GOP Is Truly the Big Lie Party – The Daily Beast
- Trump lobs racially charged attacks against Haley ahead of N.H. primary – The Washington Post
- The Trump Lying Machine – Washington Post Fact Checker
- Trump mocks Nikki Haley’s birth name. Haley responds | AP News
- A Federal Judge Has Gone to Great Lengths to Make Clear Trump Really Did Rape E. Jean Carroll – Mother Jones
- E. Jean Carroll trial: Judge threatens to boot Trump from courtroom – AP News
- President Trump’s Impact on the National Debt – The Balance
- U.S. seeks jail for Trump adviser Peter Navarro in Jan. 6 contempt case – The Washington Post
- Trump plays defense after Haley attacks his age – The Washington Post
- Opinion | 17 Trump Cabinet-Level Appointees Criticizing Trump – The New York Times
- Raskin presses Trump: Return foreign money received during term – MSNBC
National Politics and Policy
- Voters Strongly Support Expanding Medicare Coverage and Lowering the Eligibility Age – Data for Progress
- Biden administration proposes rule that could save consumers $3.5 billion a year in bank fees – CNN Business
- Border states are adding abortion clinics, doctors, hours to accommodate Hoosiers – IndyStar.com
- Biden is toughening limits on deadly soot. Industry is fighting back. – The Washington Post
- The United States is drowning OPEC in oil – QZ.com
- Louisiana draws new map to add majority-Black congressional district – The Washington Post
- Congress avoids government shutdown by passing stopgap spending measure – NPR
- Supreme Court declines to step into the fight over bathrooms for transgender students – AP News