From the chair
This week’s report is a little different with a couple of special guests, both of them experts in political organizing: state Representative Angela Witwer and our great senior U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow. They recently headlined an MDP Virtual Event on organizing campaigns. On this week’s podcast we share highlights of that event.
Introduced during the seminar: MDP’s new Digital Tool Kit. You can download all of the great tools here:
Digital Toolkit – Michigan Democratic Party
Also this week: Michigan and national Republicans continued to make headlines – most involving court cases and criminal investigations.
Here in Michigan, arraignments have concluded for the 16 fake electors charged with 8 felony counts for trying to steal Michigan’s electoral votes for election loser Donald Trump.
An investigation is underway involving a former state House Speaker for some very questionable multi-million-dollar no-bid grants to his former staff aide. That’s on top of the conviction of another former Republican speaker for bribery, and an ongoing State Police investigation into a third former Republican speaker, as well as a campaign finance investigation into a former Senate Republican leader.
Of course the big national GOP story is the multiple criminal indictments naming Donald Trump and his supporters. We’re expecting even more indictments in the Trump-led conspiracy to steal the 2020 election – this time, from the state of Georgia. And attorneys general in several states are looking at following the lead of our great Attorney General, Dana Nessel, and looking to indict their states’ fake electors.
There’s also even more in the growing scandal over Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. The latest revelations from Pro Publica about the millions in luxurious vacations given to Thomas are stunning, as is the claim by Justice Alito that Congress has no right to impose ethics rules on the court. In effect, Justice Alito claims he and his 8 colleagues are accountable to nobody.
In non-crime-and-corruption news, the efforts of both Joe Biden and Gretchen Whitmer to battle climate change gained very tragic urgency again this week with the catastrophic fires that destroyed much of Maui’s largest city, Lahaina. Our prayers go out to the families and friends of the dozens who have died in that horrible catastrophe, and to the hundreds who lost homes or businesses. Scientists and local officials agree: climate change made the tragedy possible.
Joe Biden pushed the largest climate change in history through Congress. Polling shows a vast majority of Americans want strong action on climate … but those same polls show most are unaware of what President Biden has already done, and Republicans are vowing to repeal the President’s bill. Part of our job is to spread the word: Joe Biden is THE climate President! For detailed information:
Inflation Reduction Act Guidebook for Clean Energy and Climate Programs | The White House
Stories we’re following this week
- Michigan’s Economy – New Report: Michigan #1 for Automotive Industry, EV Investment, Top 10 in Key Areas – Governor’s Office
The CHIPS Act and Michigan – Michigan Dems Celebrate Economic Achievements Made Under the CHIPS Act – Michigan Democratic Party
At CHIPS Act One-Year Anniversary, Michigan Builds on its Semiconductor Leadership – Governor’s Office
- MDP Chair on MSNBC – Lavora Barnes MSNBC Interview w/Jen Psaki – MSNBC
- Clarence Thomas – The Other Billionaires Who Helped Clarence Thomas Live a Luxe Life — ProPublica
The Other Billionaires Who Helped Clarence Thomas Live a Luxe Life — ProPublica
- Ohio – Ohio election: Voters reject Issue 1 proposal – AP News
- Michigan Fake Electors arraignments – Bombshell New Audio Exposes Dangerous Comments Made at Fake Elector Pool Party Fundraiser – Michigan Democratic Party
All 16 Arraignments Held in False Elector Prosecution, Future Court Dates Set – Michigan A.G.
- State House Dems running for Mayor – How two suburban mayoral races could affect Democratic agenda in Lansing- Detroit News
- Climate change – How Climate Change Turned Lush Hawaii Into a Tinderbox – The New York Times
Michigan eyes miles-traveled charge for roads as EVs cut into fuel tax – Bridge Michigan
July 13-23, 2023, Washington Post-University of Maryland Climate poll – The Washington Post
- Hunter Biden “investigation” – So where’s the bribe, James Comer? – The Washington Post
Opinion | Alberto Gonzales: Justice Department is not biased against Republicans – The Washington Post
- GOP in Disarray – Michigan Republican activists face misdemeanors for fights at GOP meetings – Bridge Michigan
Michigan GOP: Bid to limit Kristina Karamo’s authority may prompt legal action- Bridge Michigan
Tommy Tuberville: Florida’s third senator? – The Washington Post
“Betsy DeVos Was a Disaster. I Think Erika Donalds Could Be Worse.” – Mother Jones
Previously Secret Memo Laid Out Strategy for Trump to Overturn Biden’s Win – The New York Times
- Culture Wars – Hillsborough <Florida> schools cut back on Shakespeare, citing new Florida rules – Tampa Bay Times