From the Chair
Congressional Republicans proved this week that they are bad … very bad … at governing. When it comes to passing bills, sometimes they can’t even take ‘yes’ an answer.
Case in point: the border crisis. There’s no question that there is a law enforcement and humanitarian crisis on the border. Instead of working to solve the problem, Republicans are doing everything they can to weaponize the issue because they’ve got little else to use in their campaigns.
They don’t want to actually solve the border crisis. They just want to complain about it.
They had a bill negotiated by the very conservative Senator James Lankford of Oklahoma. It was, by all accounts, a win for conservatives with just about everything they wanted in border protection. But Donald Trump said “no. I don’t want a solution. I want an issue to use against Joe Biden.”
So Republicans tanked a bill that gave them exactly what they wanted. They were afraid that a law helping solve the border crisis would help Joe Biden politically.
It comes as no surprise. In 2023 fewer than 3-dozen new laws were enacted as House Republicans devoted most of their time to Fox News inspired investigations, posturing, promoting bizarre conspiracy theories and repeatedly changing leaders (until they finally settled on letting Donald Trump call all the shots).
Here in Michigan, Democrats have proven they are very capable of governing. On Tuesday dozens of new laws will go into effect. They are laws passed in 2023 despite unified Republican opposition, laws that improve life for every Michigan citizen with tax cuts, affirming reproductive rights, strengthening voter rights, improving support for education, fixing our roads, and so much more.
Among those new laws: a series of gun safety measures that will help reduce the epidemic of gun violence in Michigan. Ironically these laws will become effective exactly one year after the horrific mass shooting at Michigan State University. Had these laws been in effect back then, the carnage on campus might have been averted.
You can learn more about the new statutes on the Michigan House Democrats’ website.
Also on this week’s podcast:
- My thoughts on the outrageous social media posts about the “Great Replacement” theory by Republican Representative Josh Schriver
- Our focus on building the party at the local level, including an interview with Macomb County Prosecuting Attorney Candidate Christina Hines
- The importance of voting in the February 27 Presidential Primary
- Three new Trump outrages: his willingness to let Putin invade our NATO allies, his profound disrespect for active duty military, and the political hit job by a Republican special prosecutor.
In the News
- Macomb County, Prosecutor Peter Lucido hit with discrimination lawsuit – Detroit Free Press
- Is Mike Rogers Really a Michigan Resident? ⋆ Michigan Advance
- Detroit councilmember Mary Waters joins race to unseat Shri Thanedar – Detroit Free Press
- GOP lawmaker’s ‘great replacement’ post condemned by colleagues – Detroit News
- Top Biden aides meet with Arab-American leaders in Michigan – The Washington Post
- Biden expands his campaign team in Michigan – Detroit News
- Gun reform, tax cuts among dozens of Michigan laws taking effect in February – Bridge Michigan
- New Michigan gun safety laws go into effect Feb. 13 – CBS Detroit
- Whitmer proposes $80.7B budget focused on education, curbing some costs – Detroit News
- Whitmer says $80.7B budget plan for 2025 will ease pocketbook issues – Detroit Free Press
- Democrats defend Dearborn after op-ed calls Michigan city ‘America’s Jihad Capital’ – Just The News
- State Dems resolution calls Dearborn Wall Street Journal op-ed racist; author calls it political stunt – Fox2 Detroit
- Jury finds Jennifer Crumbley guilty of four counts of involuntary manslaughter – CBS Detroit
- Election 2024: Biden determined to use Trump-backed collapse of border deal as weapon – AP News
- Trump suggests he would refuse to honor NATO treaty, encouraged Russian attacks on U.S. allies – The Washington Post
- VIDEO – Trump mocks absence of Haley’s husband who is deployed overseas with military – CNN via YouTube
- Comey helped make Trump president. The Hur report follows the same playbook. – MSNBC
- Some experts question putting memory details in Hur’s Biden report – The Washington Post
- Biden Classified Documents Report Is Partisan and Unprofessional – The Daily Beast
- ‘Literally off his rocker’: Why Trump is fixated on Indiana – POLITICO
- Trump paid $20,000 to rent plant for fake union auto worker event: filing – Rachel Maddow
- Biden’s new economic messaging strategy: Attack Trump’s tax legacy – POLITICO
- Opinion: The border compromise would’ve helped—a lot – Fareed Zakaria/CNN
- Faced with wave of hostile bills, transgender rights leaders are playing “a defense game” – AP News
- Five Years After Its Introduction, the Green New Deal Is Still Incredibly Popular – Data for Progress
- AI robocalls can trick voters. The FCC made them illegal – AP News
- Senate Republicans retreating into the same ungovernable chaos as House GOP – The Washington Post
- IRS expects to collect more in overdue and unpaid taxes – AP News