Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 12:31 — 10.0MB)
We add our voices in support of the MSU community, and especially to the family and friends of the three students murdered and those critically injured the shooting rampage. The response from all corners of Michigan demonstrates that, in this time of tragedy, we are all Spartans.
The carnage at MSU raises, once again, a terrible question: how many more must die? Nationally we are averaging more than 1 mass shooting a day so far this year. In Michigan, Democrats have been fighting for common-sense gun safety legislation for years, stymied by Republicans beholden to the NRA’s lobbyists. With
Democrats now in the majority, our leaders have pledged quick action on gun safety bills which Governor Whitmer has promised to sign.
On this week’s podcast we talk with the state Senator who represents MSU, Majority Floor Leader Sam Singh, about those efforts, along with Democrat-led efforts to cut taxes for Michigan working families and retirees.
Links to this week’s News Stories
- MSU shooting victims remembered: Alexandria Verner, Arielle Anderson, Brian Fraser – The Washington Post
- Twitter: “A survivor of the 2012 Sandy Hook elementary school shooting is a student at Michigan State University
- Michigan Democrats pushed for stronger gun laws before MSU shooting – The Washington Post
- Michigan Senate leader: Lawmakers must ‘meet this moment with action’ – Detroit News
- this:’ Dems vow gun reform | Bridge Michigan
- Laws provided path for MSU gunman to own firearm after conviction – Detroit News
- Statement from President Joe Biden on the Shooting at Michigan State University – The White House
- Ford Taps Michigan for New LFP Battery Plant; Creates 2,500 More New American Jobs | Ford Media Center
- Ford to create 2,500 jobs at new $3.5 billion EV battery manufacturing facility in Michigan – MEDA
- Tax deal clears Michigan Senate, but inflation checks remain in limbo | Bridge Michigan
- Minority Leader Hall, Michigan Republicans Set To Turn Their Backs On Inflation Relief – Michigan Democratic Party
- Who benefits most from tax cut plans from Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, Michigan Republicans? | Bridge Michigan
- Michigan SOS Benson pushes to ban guns at polling places, create Voting Rights Act – Fox 2 Detroit
- National Task Force on Election Crises Report
- Far-right Republican groups surge in swing state Michigan | Reuters
- Fox Stars Privately Expressed Disbelief About Trump’s Election Fraud Claims – The New York Times